Friday, September 01, 2006

Crust Gone Awry

Rarely - OK, OK - occasionally, I make mistakes in the kitchen. One such mistake I made was a few weeks ago, when I was making my biscotti crust for the Pesto Cafe's Cafe Mocha Cream Tart. I mistakenly added entirely too much butter to the crumb mixture and ended up with a puffy, crumbly mess of a crust instead of its crispy, browned counterpart. Granted, it tasted delightful, but was in no condition to encase a chocolate custard. Instead of trashing the crust in exhasperation, I salvaged it and turned it into that night's dessert.

I made miniature trifles, with layers of the crumbly crust mishap, sugared raspberries, chocolate cream and topped them with chocolate ganache. "If life gives you a puffy crust, make miniature trifles" - isn't that how the saying goes?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


2 Comments:

Blogger mary grimm said...

Brilliant save!
This reminds me a little of a long-ago chocolate mousse my sister made which didn't firm up--she called it chilled chocolate soup and served it with dollops of whipped cream.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yummmm... Chocolate soup!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home